There is no photo of the final product as after I spend a bit of extra time making my breaky look pretty, I just ate it and forgot the photo!
GDM Friendly (~ 2 Carbohydrate exchanges)
cup traditional rolled oats
- 1 red apple
- 1 cup of raw nuts (e.g. walnuts & cashews), crushed (or replace with chia seeds for ease)
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (ideally calcium fortified)
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup natural Greek yoghurt
- 1 cup of berries, mix of varieties
- 2/3 cup nuts/seeds of choice (e.g. pumpkin seeds & flaked almonds)
- 1/4 cup desiccated coconut
- Crush nuts using either a food processor, thermomix or mortar & pestel. Alternatively, you can replace the nuts with chia seeds that don’t need to be crushed (easier on a busy morning). - Grate an apple or chop finely into small pieces
- Place nuts (or chia seeds) + apple + oats + almond milk + coconut + vanilla + cinnamon into saucepan to simmer on low heat until cooked, or alternatively in a bowl in the microwave for 4 minutes (if less time to stand at stove!!)
- Once cooked divide into 2 two bowls & mix in 1/4 of yoghurt into each bowl.
- Top each bowl with 1/2 cup berries and at least 1/3 cup nuts/seeds of choice (more if you desire).